Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Standing at the bedside of a beloved member of the local Mission, who is facing a terminal tumor, I focused on the prayers of the Anointing Service (it’s the first time I have heard it outside of the Holy Wednesday service) and was struck by the times that the ill person was prayed for even if s/he is under excommunication and other dastardly sins. It really washed over me how repentance, humility and heartfelt prayers reunite you to the living God, no matter what your position is and has been.

Later that weekend, I was continuing to read the fabulous Katherine, and she came to a point in her life where she realized “God is love”. As a mother who has walked the minefield of teaching my kids about the faith (and with varied results), I pondered how sometimes we humans get caught up in the “do and do nots” of Christianity and forget those amazing three words – God is love.

In a recent email from Father Thomas, I read these words from Metropolitan Anthony of Sourozh.

“Repentance does not consist in feeling terribly
sorry that things went wrong in the past;
it is an active, positive attitude which consists
in moving in the right direction.”



How do we reach out to God and accept this love? Lord have Mercy, Lord have Mercy, Lord have Mercy. May I learn to move in the right direction.

9 Comments:

At 3:07 PM , Blogger David said...

Good post!

Have you read "River of Fire".

Reading your post reminded me of visiting a western rite blog where they were saying it was biblically wrong to pray for the damned in response to someone saying they were praying for a criminal who commited suicide the night before his trial.

Isn't praying for others Love? To withold love because we think someone someone is "damned" (I didn't think that happened until final judgment). The "god" some people believe it!

God is Love

 
At 11:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like that quote!!! Ioften look back and think about past sins that I have confessed. I need to move forward! Your post will help me do that.

 
At 7:48 PM , Blogger Athanasia said...

Good quote Mimi. Thanks for sharing it.

David, I was just having this discussion of praying for those who commit suicide. Yes we should pray for them. Even though the Church may not 'bury' them, they are not beyond God's mercy. And it's not our decision whether they are or not anyway. It *is* our responsibility to pray.

Excellent points, all!

 
At 2:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, we do get caught up in the do and don'ts. I think it's a ploy of the evil one to make us feel devout while keeping space between us and the Person of Jesus (or our awareness of Him at least).

 
At 11:22 AM , Blogger Renee said...

One of my friends says that he has to throw himself onto the sword of mercy. The temptation to doubt our forgiveness and the temptation to reduce God to a rule book often time requires a severe mercy to over come. Thus the fasts, the penances. I used to think penance was for making up for our sins. Now I think it is to strengthen us against the temptation to forget that God is Love.

 
At 12:41 PM , Blogger Mimi said...

David! Thanks for visiting. I've read at "The River of Fire" but not finished it. I need to revisit it, thank you.

Isn't praying for others Love? To withold love because we think someone someone is "damned"..
Yes! I very much agree. I also tend to think that most suicides are the result of a mental illness, and that the root cause of the death was the illness. And, I agree, mercy, love and prayers are what I am called to give in those horrible situations.

Thanks, Angela. That's a very good reminder as well, once a sin is confessed, we needn't revisit it.

think it's a ploy of the evil one to make us feel devout while keeping space between us and the Person of Jesus Absolutely, Margi.

And, wow, MPN, so beautifully put.

I used to think penance was for making up for our sins. Now I think it is to strengthen us against the temptation to forget that God is Love.


I wasn't sure if this post came across quite how I envisioned it in my head, your comments helped me to see that I did get my point out there, and each of your comments helped me to refine it. Thank you!

 
At 2:25 PM , Blogger ukok said...

Praying for your friend who has the tumour.

 
At 5:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope the new job goes well...I will say a prayer for Eddie...

Laura N.

 
At 6:33 AM , Blogger Kitchen Madonna said...

Well Mimi will you hold my hand and let's do it together?

Yeah, MPN, well put yet again!

And prayers for Eddie!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home