
“God’s got great abs”, Xavier leaned over and whispered to me on Sunday as we were marking the Theophany of our Lord. Snicker, I will be eighty, and thinking of that when I see the icon. I have no idea why he has such a well defined six pack (I’m hoping one of the iconographers I have the pleasure of reading will chime in) but he certainly does. I told him it emphasized his humanity, was that right?
It was a hard day at church for Cedric – I pointed out that he has to be aware of appearances and not be alone in the Parish House with young women, even if they are both sitting and not talking to each other. He felt I’d impinged his honor. Sigh. Parenting is not easy.
Happy Afterfeast of the Theophany! Many years! Due to it falling on a Sunday, we were there for the Indoor blessing of the water, but missed the outdoor blessing, which is always a treat.
(icon from the GOA site)

17 Comments:
Priceless, Mimi! I think I'll be thinking of it too when I see that icon from now on. :)
Hope your feast of Theophany was one of great joy!
funny.
Hee hee! Poor Xavier will probably die of embarassment when you bring this up in a few years... :-)
Funny how innocence can be enjoyed when it comes from someone Xavier's age; and then when we get to Cedric's age we have to defend and uphold our innocence --even when we have done nothing wrong. Just a part of life. (Tell Cedric that Herman in Walla Walla is cheering for him and wants to encourage him to press on!)
You are doing well in helping each of your sons at the stage in the journey that they are in. Keep up the good work.
Somehow I imagine a guy like Cedric would have very definite ideas about proper behavior and would stick to them rigidly. Of course, the fact that those very definite ideas happen to be definitely different from day to day wouldn't change his rigid adherence.
Xavier, though ... that sort of brings to mind the image of a Holy Bodybuilder.
-Mark
I've often thought the same thing about God's abs.
I've noticed the abs too..... hmmmm. We, well, two of us, actually made it to the Blessing of the Waters this year. It was lovely.
Once while in church, Max asked me..."Doesn't this song kinda sound like a Talking Heads song?"
I tried my darndest not to bust out laughing.
While not as sophisticated as the Talking Heads, my (then) 3YO son was half paying attention to the Holy Saturday reading of the Three Holy Youths. Suddenly he burst out, not exactly quietly, "Mommy! It's Rack, Shack and Benny!"
Veggie Tales, for the uninitiated :-)
Tee hee, I'm laughing at both the Talking Heads, and the Rack, Shack, and Benny references! Giggle.
Happy Post-Theophany to you too, Mimi!
Hee-hee, kids say the funniest things.
Oh Mimi, that is hilarious! I will never look at that icon the same way again either!
Parenting sure ain't easy but thank you for that line about being concerned about how things appear. I know I will be needing that with Basil, somewhere down the line, very soon.
God bless you and your very perceptive and honorable sons!
Never thought of Jesus having abs! To me they show me His gauntness and thinness which represents His sacrificing all for us, His children. The kenosis, self-emptying.
Meh..whadda I know? Nada.
We (a few of us in my icon class) were discussion His abs, especially in the "Bridegroom" icon. We think it might also be an illusion to armor, contrasted with his allowed vulnerability. That He was not overcome by His humanity, but allowed and submitted to it. But the Armor of God was present at all times. I will certainly let you know if I come across anything definitive in my research.
I told him it emphasized his humanity, was that right?
His perfect humanity, at that! ;-)
Isn't it funny the things that kids notice? LOL
This is very much like something my husband would say. One time at The National Shrine he pointed to the mosaic Jesus overhead with bulging biceps (huge if you've never seen it) and said,
"Do you think Jesus worked out?"
Of course, my 12 year old self came out and I couldnt' stop giggling.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home