This weekend, my priest reminded me of the Morning Prayer of the Optima Elders*:
O Lord, grant me strength to meet with serenity everything forthcoming today. Grant me to submit completely to Thy holy will. At every hour of this day guide and support me in all things. Whatsoever news may reach me in the course of this day, teach me to accept it with calmness and the conviction that all is subject to Thy holy will.
In all my words and actions direct my thoughts and feelings. In all unexpected occurances, do not let me forget that all is sent down by Thee. Teach me to deal straightforwardly and wisely with every member of my family, neither embarassing nor saddening anyone.
O Lord, grant me strength to endure the fatigue of the coming day and all the events that take place during it. Direct my will and teach me to pray, to believe, to hope, to be patient, to forgive and to love. Amen.
This prayer, which I love and have written about before, had fallen by the wayside in my moring prayers, and Father’s reminder was a welcome one. I've dusted it off and have been remembering to pray it in the morning. I think that it is particuarly applicable during these difficult times. It is on the sidebar of Mary Poppins NOT's blog, and I greatly appreciate it.
On a completely unrelated note, the other day, while Googling the lyrics of my favorite Dire Straits’ song, Romeo and Juliet , I discovered that it had been remade by the Killers, a band I greatly enjoy. I hope you find it as delightful as I do.
* In the comments of my previous post, I’d made this observation: I’ve always heard it as the Prayer of the Optima Elders, but my little pocket prayer book calls it a prayer of Metropolitan Philaret of Moscow , and MPN’s citation is St. John of Kronstadt. I don’t actually know who wrote it, neither is that important. I can tell you, my priest attributed it to the Optima Elders.

16 Comments:
I've always heard it as the Optina Elders...
...isn't it wonderful when you find new ways to enjoy "old" music :)
What a beautiful prayer. Mennonites aren't big on liturgy or recited prayer, and I found that was something I really craved when I became an adult and got a taste of a few other kinds of churches.
You know, we have several Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler albums, but I've never heard "Romeo and Juliet." I think we need to improve our collection!
I had a dream about you last night, that my DH and I bumped into you somewhere and we all went to the library and checked out books! LOLOL.
I pray that one (when I remember) too. I often forget it when unforeseen circumstances arise though, yes?
good remake.
BEAUTIFUL prayer. Thanks for sharing it.
This is one of my favorite prayers (using the translation from the little prayer book from Conciliar) - I am glad you've 'rediscovered' it!
I love that prayer - although I know a slightly different version with the same meaning.
Also love the song. It's good to hear a remake that doesn't manage to torture my memories of the original.
I'm off to India tomorrow so any prayers for safe travel are appreciated!!
I love this prayer. It has carried me through many struggles.
M. Michelle
I pray the version that is in the Orthodox Study Bible, slightly more contemporary language but same heart. It really covers just about everything and is a great way to start the day.
Blessings!
Rebeca
Thank you for calling this beautiful prayer to remembrance.
Mark Knofler and EmmyLou Harris do a beautiful live version of Romeo and Juliet on "Real Live Roadrunning". A great live album....ummm CD. sheesh, I'm old.
Laura I really think that is the correct citation. And, I agree, remakes allow me to enjoy the music more, although Dh teases me that my opinion of the remake is influenced by my like or dislike of the band doing the remake.
Janelle Bwahahahahahaha. I love that we were in your dream, and so true to form.
Yes, it is a definite must have song, I think.
Marsha Yes indeed.
Michelle and Rosemary I agree, thank you.
Trace ABSOLUTELY you have my prayers as you travel, I can’t believe your trip is here already! When you get back and have a minute, would you send me the version you know? I’d love to hear it.
Matushka, Rebeca, and Kristina - I think it is definitely a favorite, and one I won’t let slide.
Father Bless. Thank you
S-P Ooooh, I really like their collaborations, I’m off to try to find it. Thanks!
it is a wonderful prayer!
The Indigo Girls re-did that one too. It's o.k. They've done better. . .
Oh, and to s-p, never heard of that, but how can you go wrong with Mark Knofler and Emmy Lou?! We'll have to check into that one for sure.
Beautiful prayer - thanks for the heads up about it!
By the way, did I ever mention I lived in the Seattle area for several years? Love the Puget Sound area - and my new husband is from there! Has tons of family there, so we go visit often. Blessings to you!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home