On that ethereal “Things to Do Before I Die” list that I’ve never written down (or scrapped, which makes me a bad scrapper, I know) there is written “Sit in Bluebonnets in Texas”. Now I get to cross that off my list, as I just spent a wonderful long weekend in Austin, Texas where we went to the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center and yours truly got to sit in the Bluebonnets. They were going to seed, so we really made it there in the nick of time.
One of the things that really struck me was how pretty it was – I have to admit, I had a West Coast snobbery that Texas was hot, dry and ugly – and perhaps that is true in the summer months. But, it was a true treat – we kept saying over and over “I didn’t expect it to be so pretty.” Another thing that I found interesting was how connected I felt to my maternal Grandfather (may his Memory be Eternal) who was born in Texas – as I looked over the vistas with the beautiful rolling hills, the flowers and the oak trees I not only felt blessed to be seeing the sights he did as a child, but also realized why he was drawn to the foothills of the Sierras where he settled and raised his family.
I went to meet up with several of my amazing women friends I met online, and it was a truly restorative weekend spending time with so many intelligent and caring women. I am truly blessed. I also got to get in a baby fix, which is always a nice treat!
And, of course in my neck of the woods, I’ve been freezing at my desk all day!

24 Comments:
Glad you had such a wonderful experience Mimi!
What an amazingly beautiful flower, and how wonderful that you were able to sit among them and cross it off your list.
And sounds like a great weekend.
Glad you had such a great time, and y'know what, this picture of you looks like it could be on the cover of an album! (all the kids who read this will be scratching their heads and checking out Wikipedia to find out what an album is now :-)
I almost went to Austin this weekend! Too bad I missed you. I thought Texas would be dry also. But it is very tropical, especially Houston. We go to Austin if we want to cool off! I'm glad you liked Texas.
luuucky! what a sweet picture!
we went to the LadyBird Johnson center too, I think it was about 4 years ago.
My mom grew up in Texas so it always has a special place in my heart:)
We also visited Holy Archangels monastery about 40 miles outside Austin. It was so nice!
Love to you Mimi, Ive been reading blogs but not responding!!
Beautiful picture! I also very much like Austin. My oldest brother lived there for many years so I used to go every so often to visit. He has since moved to Santa Fe, NM so I don't have anything pulling me in that direction anymore. But I still have some terrific memories of good food, good music, nice people and some really great adventures there.
If you like flowers, and like gathering with folks you've met online - I'd say you have a trip due to Oregon soon!
What are you doing the second weekend in July? If you come here you could take in the Caledonia Days Festival which is ususally fun. You could vist St. Silouan which is a wonderfully welcoming and delightful parish - reconnect with Juliana and finally meet Papa Herman.
If you are up for it I'd take you out on a grand geocache adventure
where you would be sure to see some lovely wildflowers and maybe you could teach me a thing or two about scrapbooking.
Think about it! I have a guest room with your name on it.
Such a fun cute picture of you!
So glad you were able to get away and be with your friends! How nice, Mimi!
I will be in Austin very soon and will have to check it out.
Want to make the list too but afraid I won't get to everything on my extensive list. LOL
Great pic! I stole it from you to show to the boys.
What a nice picture, Mimi, it looks glorious there. My dream is to sit in a field of Tulips in Holland. . . someday.
You look like a teenager! Such a pretty picture! I love fields of flowers and Austin is the only city in Texas I would ever visit on purpose. We've even talked about living there. Glad you had a nice get away.
What a wonderful experience!
congratulations!!
what a wonderful thing to do.
good for you
GREAT pic Mimi
I know I have your email address somewhere but I can't seem to find it. So here's the link to the Quickutz die that produces the rimmed tag (it's actually 2 dies--one for the circle and one for the rim). http://www.quickutz.com/shapes.asp?CartId=&ic=KS%2D0075&eq=&Tp=&selProduct=Tags&Show=shapes
I don't have a written list either but sitting in the flowers...any flowers is always a cool thing in my book. Glad you got to do it and enjoy it.
The TN Highway Dept used to distribute poppy seeds in the medians of the major interstates and mile after mile after mile of red poppies dotted our state. I procrastinated about playing in the median and never took any pictures...and last year they stopped doing it. Hate that. Learned a lesson. Always play in the median. :)
Happy day.
That photo reminds me of one from my honeymoon: I'm sitting in the middle of a fairy ring! It was wonderful, because I'd never seen one before and have never seen one since.
hot and dry? Well, you obviously didn't go to the right parts of Texas. You should have gone to Lubbock and visited "Praire Dog Town". Put that on your list of things to do before you die. Or not... :)
The picture is absolutely beautiful, and nice flowers too. There's a lot of family history in Texas - a lot of relatives there, too, I hear! Your great-grandfather is buried in Electra (which you already know). Anyway, send me a larger photo, please!
Apart from some good friends, bluebonnets are the one thing i miss from Texas. I love the way they smell! Beautiful picture, Mimi!
Well, I'm jealous. I completely missed my Texas Hill Country weekend this spring. I wish you had let me know you were coming, and I could have advised you of the little-knownt bluebonnet backroads west of Austin. And you were so close to Luckenbach too! Next time let me know :) Also, as a 6th-generation Texan, I can say this: Your "West Coast snobbery" is not that far off. If not exactly ugly, much of Texas is downright plain. But the Hill Country is gorgeous--the best of Texas.
What a lovely image of you Mimi! Magical!
This is one of my favorite pictures of you! You look so peaceful and happy :)
Mimi, what a wonderful picture! Glad you had a restful time and got to meet cyberfriends. How fun.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home