I followed a link and discovered that I have outlived both Princess Diana (by 13 days)and Marilyn Monroe (by 9 days) , and am just under 20 days from outliving everyone’s favorite (Ethiopian) Orthodox Convert*, Bob Marley.
What’s interesting to me is that I’ve always thought of Princess Diana dying in the prime of her life, and Marilyn Monroe being “over the hill” and they were the same age (and the same age as I am now). I wonder if I’ve internalized their perception of themselves, or the popular perception of where they were in their life, or if it is because Marilyn Monroe died before I was born and I remember clearly when Princess Di died (on my birthday, no less).
Anyway, it’s been kind of an sobering thing to contemplate – that eternal feeling of “if I were to die tomorrow” (God forbid) what would my legacy be? Who would remember me ten years from my death, and what would they remember? Would they think of me as in the prime of my life, or as over the hill? I guess this isn’t an inappropriate thing to contemplate in this Autumn season, or as we approach Advent (which begins on Saturday). But, it is something that kind of makes me morose.
(*I realize the ins and outs are controversial, but it is still an interesting factoid)

17 Comments:
I've been thinking of mortality of late too...though we are approaching summer so I am not sure what my excuse is! :)
And I will say your blog and the image you set forth is a great blessing and joy, and it is a joy and privilege to 'know' you, albeit only virtually.
I would remember you as the ever sweet, kind, loving person that you are.
I have had the pleasure of knowing you through your blog, and also in person:)
I still have your gift!!
Mimi
It is a blessing to know you, and although I do not like thinking about if we were not here tomorrow.
I feel that way about JFK...I was in the womb when he was killed so I cannot relate. Lady Di however, effected me as did John Lennon.
Hope you are well! Still busy with school and my "Drew" *should* be home for Christmas I pray!
I hope you and I both live long, long lives!
Nice to see you Mimi, as always! Take care - Kellan
wow that was a bit morose going to the site, especially seeing how many days I've lived. Somehow that was a bit sobering.
what!? bob marley a convert to orthodoxy?
word verification: ingst.
(is that like angst, only less serious, and of shorter duration?)
Yes, death is a sobering thought and something we are wise to contemplate every day.
Have your read "Lynette's Hope"? I put off reading it for so long and I am so glad I finally read it. Her preparation for death was beautiful and so powerful.
Seems like I read somewhere that it's not how we live, but rather how we die.
Ditto for Lynette's Hope.
Such an important thing to ponder.
That's really cool. This is the first I've heard that Bob Marley was Orthodox. A few weeks ago we went to an East African restaurant...the owners were also Orthodox (from Eritrea, though)!
dear girl...i was attending my college orientation when you were born (august?) LOL!! ...i think we all hit a point when we wrestle with the 'what hav i done with my life' question...at 55 with two young children, i often wake-up fearful that i have not left enough for them should i die 'young'...what i have i taught them? did i give them enough love to endure in my absence? what have i left behind? and...i better get off my 'duff' and tell me story ( cough cough...scrapbook)
What’s interesting to me is that I’ve always thought of Princess Diana dying in the prime of her life, and Marilyn Monroe being “over the hill” and they were the same age
that's an interesting perspective
i would remember you as the one who always remembered me...
:)
A sad site... I am a little over a month from outliving Heath Ledger. Though I wasn't really a fan of his, I was really saddened by his death.
my sense of my own mortality is never far away. Perhaps its because i'm a single parent and i worry so much about leaving behind my children...i don't know.
I don't fear death, just what happens to those i leave behind who are dependant on me.
In case i pop me clogs sometime soon though, i would like you to know that i cherished our 'connection' across our differing faiths, we worshipped one God, though differently but that it never made the slightest difference to me and that whenever i saw in bloglones you had a post up, there was never a question of would i visit, because you always had something to say that i would want to hear...well, unless it was about sport....LOL!!!
The passage of time is always so eye-opening. I left you something on my blog today.
Wow -- this is such a deep post! I'll have to check out that site.
My mom died at 53 and my dad died at 55. My four sibs and I are now going through the years when we see ourselves preparing to be older than our parents ever were. It's weird. Sometimes I do get a quirky sense of urgency of thinking I need to hurry and do things before my time is spent...but then, my great-grandmother lived to be 103 so there's no telling where I (or anyone) will fall in that life span spectrum.
My husband and I participate is a group through our church where I am the youngest by far yet in other settings I realize I am the oldest in the room. It is intersting how the setting and the circumstances can reflect "prime of life" or "over the hill" perceptions.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home