Friday, August 20, 2010

The canning challenge for August is tomatoes.

I stopped by the Farmer’s Market today, thinking I’d get about 10 pounds of tomatoes to do some crushed tomatoes, I know I’ll get some from my CSA later in the year (I’m pretty sure the ones at the market are still coming over from the Eastside of the mountains – we only got two tomatoes in our weekly box.) They were 1.99/lb or a 20+ box for $22.00. So, I got a whole box. I was talking to my friend, a chef, and asked him how long it took to make a tomato sauce, thinking that I might do one batch of crushed and one of sauce, but he advised sauce is an all day process. Soon, but not tonight.

So, I crushed all the tomatoes I got, and have six pints cooling, and three pints and four quarts in the canner as we speak.

From the Big Ball Book:

1) Prepare canner, jars and lids.


2) Working in small batches, immerse tomatoes in boiling water for 30-60 or until the skins start to loosen or crack. Immediately plunge into a bowl of cold water and slip the skins off. Remove cores and any bruised or discolored portions.

3) Working in batches, quarter enough tomatoes to measure about 2 cups. Transfer to a large stainless steel saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Using a potato masher, crush tomatoes to release juices. While maintaining a gentle boil and stirring to prevent scorching (how many hands do they think I have?), quarter additional tomatoes and add to the saucepan as you work. The remaining tomatoes do not be to crushed, as they will soften with heating and stirring. Continue until all tomatoes are added, then boil gently for five minutes.

4) Before packing each jar of tomatoes, add 1 tsp lemon juice per pint and 2 tsp lemon juice per quart (you can use ¼ per pint and ½ per quart of citric acid instead) After packing each jar, place in canner until all jars are filled, or your canner is full.

5) Add salt, if using (I didn’t) as follows: ½ tsp per pint, 1 tsp per jar.

6) Pack hot tomatoes into prepared jars to within a generous ½ inch of top of jar. Press tomatoes in the jar until spaces between them fill with juice, leaving ½ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if necessary. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Screw band down until reistance is met, then increase to finger tight.

7) Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil. Process pints 35 minutes, quarts 45 in boiling water bath canner.

Since I had so many additional tomatoes (the book said about 2 ¾ pounds of tomatoes per quart,) I simmered the additional tomatoes until the canner was close to being done with the first batch, then filled the rest of the jars.

Enjoy!

12 Comments:

At 12:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so envious of your ability to can food. I know it's probably easier than I think it is, but all I can think of is the dangers of botulism, and that I'd be sure to poison my family if I tried it.

 
At 5:37 AM , Blogger Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Wow, that looks like a goodly amount of provisions for the winter months !

I am busy freezing plums from my tree this weekend :-)

 
At 6:13 PM , Blogger Michelle M. said...

We used to always make a year supply of tomato sauce when I was growing up. My Nonno had brought his tomato crushing machine all the way from Italy. We had a HUGE vat that we cooked the sauce in over an outdoor burner. It took an entire day- from sun up to sun down. I hope you are able to do it.

 
At 11:41 AM , Anonymous Julia said...

Nice! Totally simple and totally rewarding!

 
At 7:08 PM , Blogger Athanasia said...

I remember when my grandmother and her sister would do this for days, and days, and days, and days; lining the basement shelves of both of their houses with enough tomatoes to feed an army. They would buy 10-20 bushels filled to overflowing with plum tomatoes. Sigh. They were delish!

I cook up tomatoes and freeze them because canning scares me. I just made my first homemade batch of stewed tomatoes. I don't think I'll ever eat canned again! YUM!

 
At 12:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, I was looking for a simple recipe that doesn't take too long - this is it! My salsa took forever!

 
At 7:39 AM , Anonymous St. Nicholas and Christmas said...

Now I know what I'll do with some of the tomatoes I was given on my recent visit to a traditional Greek village! Thanks!

 
At 3:09 PM , Blogger Rebeca said...

I'm always so impressed by canning! It's something I like the idea of... but the reality hasn't quite hooked me yet!
Erik just started reading The Wind in the Willows to our kids. Can you believe I've never read it?

 
At 2:36 PM , Anonymous Paige said...

A perfect basic recipe!

I follow along with the canjam, here's my August recipe for peach salsa!

http://www.canningwithkids.com/blog/2010/08/nicely-spicy-peach-salsa.html

 
At 8:16 AM , Blogger Pres. Kathy said...

What a great idea! Hope you are well~

 
At 4:04 PM , Blogger EC Gefroh said...

Mimi, if these tomatoes are anything like your strawberry jam, then I know they will be delicious. I haven't canned tomatoes thinking them too expensive here...anywhere from 1.99 for local tomatoes to 4.99 again for local or mainland tomatoes. I may just try it.

 
At 4:40 PM , Anonymous Arielle said...

Hi Michelle!

This is entirely unrelated, but I just went to email you and found that your email was not stored in my gmail account, which is the only way I ever have anyone's email address :)

I wanted to tell you that James is so in love with the book "The Abbot and I" that you gave him, he won't read anything else! I didn't know babies his age could get so attached to a book. I don't even know what it is about it. I can read it over and over again, and he whines if I put it down. I find him several times a day standing at the chair by his bookshelf looking through it :) And on each page, I say, "Where's the kitty?" and he meows :)

So, for whatever reason, your choice is certainly a big hit with James!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home