Quick. Who is Jo March? I remember when I first read that opening line of an Anna Quindlen essay (and isn’t that a great essay title?) While I’m pretty sure my Dh did not know immediately there was no question for me. In fact, I posit that most women considered Jo their favorite, I think that we do relate to Meg, Beth, and Amy as well. And, who can forget poor Joey on Friends (that's a line we quote often in our house)?
I remember several of the adventures of the March girls (although, not quite what got Amy into trouble, thanks Alana) and have very clear flashes of reading it, but none of them are in my adulthood. Therefore, I was thinking about wanting to re-read the book. I think that I’d understand a lot more of the political interactions (especially after having read Geraldine Brooks’ March) find moments I remember with a grin, and maybe figure out why Jo made the marriage decision she did.
So, as we approach the Dormition fast (when I like to pick up a classic) and being asked to choose the August Pagenibbler book*, I thought I’d throw down the gauntlet and propose that anyone who wants to read Little Women with me and I’ll post some discussion questions along the way. I’ll start over the weekend, come join me in the March parlor. And, did you answer the question correctly?
*this will be crossposted.
(photo credit)

20 Comments:
well written post Mimi! My copy of this book is still in Michigan! I look forward to reading about what you have to say...
You're getting to be quite a writer yourself, Mimi. This is a very well-written and interesting post. (But I think I had enough of the "Little Women" years ago; besides, they're UNION and I live in the South.)
Haha. I was panicking because I thought we were supposed to summarize who she is philosophically, not just identify her.
I've succeeded in getting my husband to read some of my childhood favorites (as I'm slowly looking up some of his). He really liked Anne of Green Gables, but I don't think I've tried with Little Women. (Heh heh heh.)
I'd love to re-read it with you! (Assuming Teddy doesn't eat my copy first.)
Oh, and do you use goodreads?
I knew right away (although I have never read the book)... hubby didn't. I'm in need of a good book, so I may just join you.
I knew.
Hmm. I will look around for my copy....it has got to be here somewhere...
Oh! How funny! I've been wanted to reread it too! I'll do it with you, however, I'm not sure that my discussions will be on the same level as you..I'm quite simplistic or have you already noticed? LOL!
No, I'll give it my best shot!
Let's go! :)
The question was just "Who is Jo March?" Boy was that easy. I don't remember much of the book, though, except of course Jo cutting her hair and feminine hysteria ensuing, and the Pickwick Papers which I could not stand. MY favorite character was Marmie.
I found that book very hard to get through, since I am (as far as Victorian lit goes) much more a fan of Wells and Verne than Austin and Alcott. Martians attacking London were way more exciting. Maybe I should re-read it now and see if my opinion's changed since junior high.
I liked Little Men, though (favorite character - Dan). I need to read Jo's Boys.
Ooh, Little Women is one of my faves...it's been a while since I've re-read it. I'd love to discuss it!
I read it for the first time at a really young age, I think like eight years old or so, so a lot of it went over my head. I can remember reading it much later, in my twenties, and understanding SO much more! LOL.
Thank you!
I look forward to seeing everyone. It is in the public domain so you can actually read it online (but I am not a fan of reading anything of that length online, ugh)
Madga, that made me laugh out loud - I'd like a 10-12 page essay, double spaced in my office by Thursday.
Caeseria - My oldest likes Jules Verne and HG Wells, a lot, I'm not sure I've ever read either of them.
I'm very excited to start! Yay!
This is a lovely book, as are the subsequent ones.
I shall try to join you as well. For some reason I thought I'd have more time once I graduated from school!
Off to the e-books website to get the freebie for my Kindle!
Oh, I should add, my husband didn't know when I asked him yesterday either.
Oh, and Suzanna - I didn't even think of them being Union vs South.
I'll read it - it's one of the few novels whose whereabouts I actually know. Who is Jo March? Jo March is the heroine everyone wants to be unless they want to be Elizabeth Bennet. In the last film version it becomes quite clear why she marries Professor Bhaer... he's actually Gabriel Byrne ;)
I must remember to try to get a copy of this book. Would love to do this-- to read something uplifting for a change. I just finished "Crime and Punishment."
wow. that is so funny. i was at the library just today and came so close to picking it up, but opted for another alexander book (rasputin's daughter) instead. i've actually only ever seen the last movie which i love even though i know that is wrong. next library trip, i'll pick it up. and yes, in the movie you can definitely see why she chose the professor - i thought he was dreamy! *grin*
I'm game. I've never read it, I'm amazed to say, but I *loved* the 1994 movie. And I've been making good headway with the Kindle at knocking out any of the goodies I forgot to pick up for the last 40-some years.
Definitely one of my favourites. I wonder if 8 is too young to read it? I might read it to Kayleigh and see how it goes. I'll join you but will take a bit longer if I'm reading it to her so may not be able to keep up with some of your comments.
x
This was my absolute favorite book as a child, and I haven't read it for a long, long time. I think I'll read it with you!
when and where are we to post? I must go dig out my bought-at-next-door-neighbor's-rummage sale-copy. I don't know what I'll have to say, it's one of those books I read about 20 times growing up and it's so familiar that it's like the Bible...you don't really "hear" it anymore. But I'll try.
And "Crime and Punishment" is in my stack, too, Rosemary.
Also just finished "The Story of Pi" which was just phenomenal. I may need to buy it!
I remember my mom saying that the movie helped her to understand exactly why Jo married Dr. Baer. And, I'm sure him being Gabriel Byrne didn't hurt!
I'm so enjoying the discussions, thank you.
Trace - I don't think K. is too young at all - and I love the idea of you reading outloud to her.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home