I was blessed to be able to attend Vespers on Saturday night, and heard this wonderful hymn
The feast that passed was radiant,
but the one to come is even more glorious.
There the Magi worshipped the Savior;
here the servant baptizes the Master.
There the shepherds saw the Child and were amazed;
here the voice of the Father proclaims the only-begotten Son!
I’ve written before about how the Nativity and the Theophany bookend the 12 Days of Christmas, and I liked what the hymn said about the even more glorious Theophany. In many ways, we focus on the Nativity more - it makes sense, there’s a Lenten-like preparation for it, we have food and gift traditions that surround it, the kids are excited, we have parties to attend and gifts to buy. But in actuality, the Theophany is a greater feast theologically as there is a Trinitarian manifestation, and we are aware of Christ’s baptism sanctifying the entire cosmos, as Father Stephen so brilliantly pointed out in today’s post.
We are still stuck in our freakishly cold and snowy winter, just barely having thawed from our pre-Christmas storm to find snow this morning. It appears that warmer air has come in behind it, though, and I am looking forward to trekking up to our parish’s chapel in the foothills, spending time with my Goddaughter, enjoying the feast, contemplating God’s abs, and taking time to really remember how life-changing it is.
Happy Theophany.

19 Comments:
Wishing you the blessings of the feast.
thank God for His feasts! Blessed feast!
35C [~ 95F] here; rather warm. And what a beautiful verse from the hymns; thank you.
A blessed and joyous Feast of Theophany to you and the family!
A very beautiful post. I really enjoyed the hymn. Have a blessed day!
Happy Feast Day Mimi. I love Theophany, its one of my favorite services.
Blessed Theophany, Mimi! And may the Lord grant you some more seasonable weather!!!
yes, we are buried in snow too.
God's abs! too funny.
your church has a chapel in the foothills? jeeeeealous!
A joyous Theophany, dear Mimi !!!
Freakishly cold and snowy is just business as usual here. This past Saturday there was up to six inches of snow in northern Minnesota and sleet and freezing rain in the southern part of the state. Just another day in paradise! : )
Thank goodness for airplanes and Las Vegas in a few weeks. Casinos drive me nuts but the weather is nice and the Hilton has the best Star Trek museum in the world.
Lovely!!! Oh, how I wish we could get some of that snow!
Joyous Feast!
"contemplating God's abs" LOL I had to follow the link. At first I thought I'm reading that wrong. I've spent too much time reading "Twilight." Funny post. (the link I mean) Don't you love how kids can make us laugh. Happy Feast Day.
Happy Feast Day of the Epiphany Mimi!
beautiful post. :D
I love Theophany. We became Orthodox just a few days before in 2001.
Did you make it up there? I hope they're okay. And how are you holding out, in the land of 6" of rain in one day EEEK!
Happy belated Theophany and Merry Julian Christmas, Mimi! Hope your weather improves.
Thank you for the Festal Wishes! And I hope everyone had a great one as well.
Ian, I'm a bit jealous of your weather.
Father, bless, I'm not jealous of yours.
Liz, I know. There has been so much rain and flooding that I think we'd not have been able to make it to the chapel if it were later in the week. It was very rainy, but lovely as always.
Wow, you beat me by 11!!
I'll be checking your list for some good ones I've missed :)
Blessed Theophany to you & your family.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home